The TCO Unions
Most of the members of the TCO unions are to be found in unions that organise all the professionals at a particular workplace. Other unions are professional associations in which membership is based on the members sharing the same profession.
The affiliated unions negotiate pay and terms and conditions of employment with the employers. Unions with members in the private sector negotiate with various industrial organisations that are affiliated to the Confederation of Swedish Enterprise. Other counterparts include the Co-operative Employers’ Association and the Employers’ Organisation of the Swedish Banking Institutions.
Most of the trade unions in the private sector are members of the Federation of Salaried Employees in Industry and Services (PTK), a negotiating cartel. Trade unions with members in the local or central government sectors negotiate with the Swedish Association of Local Authorities, the Federation of Swedish County Councils and the Swedish Agency for Government Employees. The unions co-operate in the Public Employees’ Negotiation Council (OFR).
Co-operation on negotiations also takes place with trade unions affiliated to the Swedish Confederation of Trade Unions (LO) and the Swedish Confederation of Professional Associations (Saco), for example within the framework of PTK and OFR. Over 60 % of the members of the TCO unions are women.
• Unionen - Unionen is Sweden’s largest trade union on the private labour market and the largest white-collar union in the world. They have approximately 500 000 members in everything from major international Groups to small family companies.www.unionen.se
• Lärarförbundet - The Swedish Teachers’ Union organises teachers throughout the education system from preschool to university level. 221 713 members.www.lararforbundet.se
• Vision - The Swedish Union of Local Government Officers organises white-collar workers employed by the municipalities and county councils (or companies owned by them) or the church. 176 569 members. www.vision.se
• Vårdförbundet - The Swedish Association of Health Professionals is a trade union and professional organization for registered nurses, midwives, biomedical scientists and radiographers. 111 842 members. www.vardforbundet.se
• ST - The Union of Civil Servants organises employees in the civil service, public utilities and corporations and State-funded foundations. 82 892 members.http://www.st.org/
• Finansförbundet - The Union of Financial Sector Employees organises employees in the banking and finance sectors. 42 372 members.www.finansforbundet.se
• Polisförbundet - The Union of Swedish Policemen organises police officers. 23 046 members. www.polisforbundet.se
• Journalistförbundet - The Swedish Union of Journalists organises newspaper, magazine, radio and television journalists. 18 531 members.www.journalistforbundet.se
• FTF - The Union of Insurance Employees organises employees in insurance companies and closely-related banks. 15 833 members. www.ftf.se
• Teaterförbundet - The Swedish Union of Theatrical Employees organises actors, artists, technicians and administrative personnel working in the theatre, film, radio and television fields and other closely-related areas. 8 484 members.www.teaterforbundet.se
• Försvarsförbundet - The Union of Civilian Employees in the Defence Forces organises non-military personnel working for authorities and organisations relating to the defence forces. 7 024 members. www.forsvarsforbundet.se
• Farmaciförbundet - The Union of Chemist’s Employees organises all personnel working at chemists shops. 7 049 members. www.farmaciforbundet.se
• TULL-KUST - The Swedish Union of Customs’ and Coastguards Officers organises employees working for the Swedish Customs and Swedish Coastguard. 4 357 employees. www.tullkust.se
• Symf - The Swedish Federation of Professional Musicians organises professional musicians and singers. 2 210 members. www.symf.se
• SLF - The Association of Forestal and Agricultural Employees organises white-collar workers in the forestry and agricultural sectors. 1 279 members. www.slf.a.se